October Achievements and November Goals (and a facepalm)

So … I honestly thought I’d posted this last week, but it turns out I hadn’t. Please ignore my embarrassment.

October Goals:

AHQ: I’m halfway through another three generic bags for RAAF Butterworth. I need to get them finished as well as this month’s goal (see below).

FAL: I was supposed to finish Blue Christmas by 10th October but failed dismally. I hope I’ll get the rest of the FMQ done by the end of the month so I can put it up as a decoration in December, but we’ll see how I go.

In the meantime, I’m working on the doll-size sacque dress I nominated as this quarter’s goal. I made a toile of the bodice lining to fit the bodice, but then I wasn’t sure how to alter the back to fit the revised lining, so I’m going to make the dress without alterations first and then I’ll work out how to alter it. I know that precise fitting on a sacque isn’t important, because the loose fit was the whole point, but the design as printed seemed to be sagging in the pattern illustrations and I wanted to eliminate that.

Other work:

Still going on the green rosettes for Flame Rose, plus I’ve figured out how to tweak the last round of roses so I only need two brown fabrics instead of four. At the rate I’m going I estimate a finish date (for the units, anyway) of March next year. I’d like to get the top assembled by May 2020, which will be the two-year anniversary of the start.

November Goals:

AHQ: I picked up a quilt in Monday’s request list (28th October) with a due date of 02 December, so that will be my goal this month.

FAL: Continue making the doll sacque dress.

September Achievements and October goals

September Goals:

I’ve been slacking off and reading rather than sewing the last couple of weeks so goals have not been met. However, the NHL season has started and my teams’ first games are tomorrow morning (or tonight, if you’re in North America) so I’ll be sewing at least three hours a day from now until April.

AHQ: Three generic bags for RAAF Butterworth. Partly done. I’ve finished one bag and two more are half-done so they’ll be ready in a day or two.

2019-10-03 Bag
Laundry Bag

Personal: the last two Hawaiian blocks done. Not done. Not even partly done.

FAL: Finish Blue Christmas. Almost done. All the walking foot quilting has been done and I only need to add a little FMQ and then I can bind it. As you can see, Vanima loves to help.

Vanima helping me to quilt
Vanima helping me to quilt

Other work:

Flame rose: I am still working on the “leaves” portion of the design. I had started some rosettes in a lighter shade of olive but hadn’t got very far when I decided that although it was the right hue its value was too light in comparison with the other two greens, so I popped into Hobbysew and found a batik that was much closer in value and blends very well.

I probably won’t finish this section until the end of the year, since my wrists are still having issues with more than 90 minutes hand sewing at a time. I’ve decided on colours for the two final sections, though, so it’s simply a matter of “slow and steady” until the piecing is completed.

October Goals:

AHQ: I may do a couple more laundry bags unless I see something jump out at me from the request list.

Personal: I give up. If I do something for myself I’ll add it in the next monthly summary, otherwise I’m not going to waste time on goals that are never met.

FAL: finish the binding on Blue Christmas and choose a project for Q4. At this stage I’m toying with the idea of a non-quilting project, possibly a doll’s outfit (more on that later in the month).

99 days

99 days left in 2019 (it’s frightening how fast the years go by now).

I’m keeping busy — I may not have been blogging but I’ve definitely been working on sewing projects (including my FAL goal).

I’ve been a little sidetracked by historical costumes the last couple of weeks. I’ve been reading my costume books (I have most of the Herbert Norris and some Iris Brooke tomes) and trying to make sense of the Janet Arnold pattern books. I have spent more hours than I care to acknowledge watching YouTube videos on dress and hairstyles of the 18th and 19th centuries and scrolling through costume blogs. Now I’m feeling the urge to try making a couple of toiles from the Arnold patterns …

There’s a reason for all of this, of course, but I can’t tell you yet as I’m still waiting on a couple of things to be delivered.